The error “Your device is missing important security and quality fixes” can be seen when you want to update your Windows, but there are some issues with your PC configuration. The error appears when you have not updated your PC for a while or are running a substantially outdated operating system.
The ideal solution to fix the error is to install the latest available updates, be it a software update or a security patch for the latest month. This way, all your security and quality fixes are implemented on the PC, and you do not have to worry about the “Your device is missing important security and quality fixes” error.
However, in many cases, the error often persists even after you have updated your PC. OR worse, the error does not allow you to update the PC. Why so? Well, there can be multiple reasons for the same. This blog will look at how you can fix the error. We have listed multiple ways since the cause of the error is unknown.
Without further ado, let’s begin!
How to Fix, “Your device is missing important security and quality fixes” Error on Windows?
The error does not seem fatal until it becomes difficult for a user to update the PC. Facing it is common as it does not cause a lot of changes in the way you use the PC, but it can manifest more fatal issues than you can think of.
There are 3 ways you can use to resolve the error. These are –
1. Reinstall the Previous Important Update
The security updates that your PC gets regularly are important. They give you a sense of reliability that your PC’s security is getting refreshed now and then. The updates install on their own. While most of the time, the updates are installed without any issues, there are instances when the updates are unable to install properly, and hence the error is generated.
The best way to deal with such a situation is to remove the broken update files and re-install the security update. Here’s how you can do it –
- Use your Windows taskbar to search for the updated history of the PC.
- Open the View Update History option available on your computer.
- You will find a button to uninstall the update in the update history option. Click on it.
- It will give you a peek into the recent Windows Security and Quality updates that you have installed. Select the latest one and click on uninstall.
- Once you have installed the update, Restart your PC.
- Check if the error is still visible. If it is, look for the latest updates and let it install.
The process usually takes about an hour or two, considering the update size and your internet speed. Once you have finished installing the updates, the error should be gone.
Read Also: Identifying if Your PC Drivers Need Updates! Is there a Way?
2. Use Windows Integrated Update Troubleshooting
The troubleshooting feature of Windows is not always the go-to solution for the issues you face. However, it has surely gotten better over time. If the above technique did not fix the issue, you can initiate Windows update troubleshooting.
To initiate the troubleshooting error on Windows 10 & 11, follow the given path –
- Windows 11 – Go to Settings→ Troubleshoot→ Other Troubleshooters→ Windows Update
- Windows 10 – Windows Settings→ Update & Security → Troubleshoot→ Additional Troubleshooters → Windows
- Click on Run to initiate the troubleshooter for Windows Update
- The troubleshooter works out the potential errors and tries to resolve the error.
Let the troubleshooting process get over. Restart your PC and check again if the error “Your device is missing important security and quality fixes” is gone. If it is still there, move on to the next fix!
3. Enable Telemetry Settings on Your PC
If you are even slightly good with computers, you can easily perform this technique. Telemetry is your PC’s ultimate connection with Microsoft’s support, allowing it to send data directly to Microsoft.
If, by chance, these settings are off, you should try turning them on. This is because updates are often installed based on how your PC behaves. If Microsoft does not know of it, you might not get some important quality updates. To enable these settings, follow the given steps –
- Open Run by pressing Windows + R
- Insert the Command gpedit.msc to open the group policy editor.
- Once opened, follow the path – Computer Configuration >> Administrative Templates >> Windows Components >> Data Collection and Preview Builds
- They find the telemetry and configure it to Enable it.
Once the telemetry settings are on, apply your changes and instantly restart your PC. Considering if your telemetry was off, this should do the trick for you. Check for the latest update for Windows and install it to delete the error.
Pro Tip: Make Sure your PC is using all the Updated Components
While the above techniques revolve around the Windows Update settings, the error “your device is missing important security and quality fixes” might also result from missing drivers on your PC.
Drivers are a crucial part of your PC, and while outdated drivers do not directly cause this error, they might add to the gruesome repercussions that this error may cause. Not to mention, running your PC with outdated drivers is not recommended as it may cause a lot of errors.
However, you cannot deny that keeping all the drivers updated is a tough nut to crack, especially if you have to do it manually. Well, good for you; there’s an automated way!
Advanced Driver Updater is the ultimate tool that you can use to finish all your driver updates in just a few clicks. The tool is easy to use and takes 5 steps to finish the task. Check out the steps below.
- Download the Advanced Driver Updater on your PC and install it.
- Run the application to find the welcome screen with the Start Scan Now button.
- Initiate the preliminary analysis of outdated drivers on your PC
- Once the scanning is finished, you will have a number of outdated drivers listed on your screen
- Review the software that it has listed and click on update all to update the outdated drivers.
It is that easy! Updating the drivers will make your PC smoother and help you rectify common errors such as “your device is missing important security and quality fixes.”
Q1. How to fix security settings missing or changed in Windows 10, issue?
There are different ways to fix the “Some security settings are missing or have been changed” error. Here are the best solutions you can try.
1. Restart and re-register TrustedInstaller (Windows Modules Installer Service).
- Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc and open Task Manager.
- Click the Services Tab and look for TrustedInstaller.
- Right-click on it and select Start.If this doesn’t work, click Stop and Restart the service.
Once this is done, open Command Prompt as Administrator.
If you are working on a 32-Bit operating system, copy and paste the below command one by one.
Press Enter after each:
64-Bit operating system users, please use the following commands.
Press Enter after each:
Restart the system. This should work.
2. Repair Corrupted Files
- Open Command Prompt as Admin
- Type DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and press enter. Wait for the command to process.
- After that, enter sfc /scannowand press the Enter key.
This will replace the files in the Windows cache and fix the error.
Q2. Why does Windows 10 show your device is missing important security and quality fixes?
The error usually occurs due to corrupted Windows Update files required to install the updates in the Software Distribution folder. You can easily fix this error using the steps we discussed above.
Q3. How do I reinstall the Windows Security update?
You can reinstall Windows Security update through Windows PowerShell. To do so, follow these steps:
1. Press Windows + X > select Windows Terminal (Admin)
2. Copy and paste the following command and press the Enter key:-
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.SecHealthUI -AllUsers | Reset-AppxPackage
3. Wait for the command to execute. Once done, you will get a success message. Close Terminal.
4. Restart the PC, and the security update will be reinstalled.
No Longer Missing On Windows Updates
There are multiple ways to resolve the issue, provided you can spend time on your PC. On a lighter note, the error is not fatal as it will not cost you all your data or slow down your PC; however, it might make your PC prone to virus and malware attacks.
Resolving the error and keeping your PC drivers up to date is the ultimate way of using your machine well. I hope this blog gives you a solution to your PC issue. Let me know in the comments which technique worked for you. Catch you at the next one!
10 Things You Wish You Knew Before Updating Device Driver
Solved – Nvidia Graphics Driver Not Compatible With This Version of Windows
Solved – Driver Power State Failure Error in Windows 10 and 11
The error usually occurs because of the corrupted Windows Update files essential to install the updates in the Software Distribution folder. If these files are corrupted, you cannot update the Windows. You can either rename or delete the file folder to help you fix this error.How to resolve your device is missing important security and quality fixes? ›
- Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter. ...
- Rename Software Distribution Folder. ...
- Restart Windows Update Service. ...
- Check System Files for Inconsistencies. ...
- Reinstall Windows Updates. ...
- Modify the Telemetry Level. ...
- Modify the Registry.
The error usually occurs because of the corrupted Windows Update files essential to install the updates in the Software Distribution folder. If these files are corrupted, you cannot update the Windows. You can either rename or delete the file folder to help you fix this error.How to fix some security settings are missing or have been changed Windows 11? ›
- Restart TrustedInstaller (Windows Modules Installer Service) Open Task Manager and click on the Services tab. ...
- Re-register TrustedInstaller (Windows Modules Installer Service) Open the Command Prompt as Administrator. ...
- Repair Corrupted Files.
- Turn on Windows Security. ...
- Update Windows 11. ...
- Disable Third-party Antivirus. ...
- Reset the Security App. ...
- Run an SFC and DISM Scan. ...
- Reset Your PC.
- Run Fixboot and Chkdsk Commands. ...
- Perform a System Scan in Safe Mode. ...
- Restore the Windows Registry. ...
- Disable the Automatic Repair Tool. ...
- Disable Early Launch Anti-Malware. ...
- Perform a Hard Reboot.
- Make sure sharing is turned on. ...
- Use Advanced printer setup. ...
- Make sure Bluetooth is on. ...
- Make sure Bluetooth enabled and other wireless devices are on and discoverable. ...
- Make sure network devices are turned on. ...
- Try using a troubleshooter. ...
- Check with your device manufacturer.
- Try Windows Safe Mode. ...
- Check Your Battery. ...
- Unplug All Your USB Devices. ...
- Turn Off Fast Boot. ...
- Check Your Other BIOS/UEFI Settings. ...
- Try a Malware Scan. ...
- Boot to Command Prompt Interface. ...
- Use System Restore or Startup Repair.
- Use Windows 10's "Keep My Files" Feature. ...
- Use Windows Restore Points to Revert to a Past State. ...
- Uninstall Unwanted Programs and Bloatware. ...
- Clean Up The Windows Registry. ...
- Disable Resource-Heavy Startup Programs. ...
- Restore Windows 10 Operating System Defaults.
Another way to reset Windows Defender is through Settings. If Settings opens fine for you, you don't need to bother with a PowerShell command. Instead, go to Settings > Apps > Installed apps > Windows Security > three dots > Advanced options > Reset.
In the command prompt window, type SFC /scannow and press Enter . System file checker utility checks the integrity of Windows system files and repairs them if required. After the process is complete, reboot the computer.Why can't I update my Windows security? ›
Manually check for Windows Defender Update; try downloading and installing available Windows Update. If the update fails, from the notification area, click the shield icon > select Virus & threat protection > Check for updates. Install all updates and reboot the system.
- Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter. ...
- Run the SFC and DISM Scans. ...
- Scan for Malware. ...
- Restore the Windows Update Service Manually via the Registry Editor. ...
- Factory Reset Windows.
Just go to Settings > Update & security > Windows Update and check if there is an available system update you wish to install. If you prefer the other way to clean install Windows 10 with a recovery drive, click the link and learn from it.How do I remove a Windows Update that keeps failing? ›
- Select Start > Settings > Windows Update > Update history > Uninstall updates . ...
- On the list that appears, locate the update you want to remove, and then select Uninstall next to it.
- Fix 1: Remove Unnecessary USB Devices and Restart the Computer.
- Fix 2: Connect the Device into a Different Computer.
- Fix 3: Use System Restore.
- Fix 4: Disable and Re-enable the Device.
- Fix 5: Reinstall the Device.
- Fix 6: Update the Driver.
- Fix 7: Update the Windows.
- Fix 8: Update BIOS.
- Clear Cache and Data of Google Play Store. ...
- Check for Software Updates. ...
- Install APK File Manually. ...
- Use a VPN. ...
- Install It on a Compatible Device.
- Close the Error Checking dialog.
- Open the Command Prompt by typing cmd into the desktop search field and selecting Run as administrator.
- Type the command chkdsk C: /f. If the drive you're trying to repair isn't the C drive, replace “C” with the letter of the relevant drive.
- Open File Explorer using the Windows key + E.
- Navigate to the following location: C:\Windows\System32\SecurityHealth.
- Right-click on the SecurityHealth folder.
- Select the Properties option.
- Go to the Security tab and click on the Advanced button.
- Press the Change button present next to Owner.